Monday 2 June 2014

#TEAM NATURAL OR NOT..... WHO CARES?



Greetings my people….how una dey? Hope thy day wasn’t too stressful? And if it was…well here I am…..the stress eraser ….Just sit, relax and let Moby drive….You are in safe hands. I forgot to wish us all a Happy new month. Welcome to the month of June.
Today I’ve got a very interesting and somewhat disturbing topic to gist about…something many ladies can relate to…something some have dared, some would never and others are still gathering the liver to attempt. Note that this is not a rant. Its just me expressing myself.
I’m certain many of you do not know I presently carry my natural hair. Yes, I did the big chop at some point this year (January precisely) and I'm very happy I did….No regrets whatsoever. When I was thinking of going natural, my major motivation was the feel of cold water running down my head. Ohhhh!!! That refreshing, revitalizing feeling you get when you experience a sudden change in temperature after this Naija sun has dealt terribly with you. You can only know this feeling if you’ve ever poured water on your head or be fully submerged under your shower and feel the water caress your scalp and trickle all the way down….That feeling is priceless and for me that’s the major dividend of going natural *wink**
Well, after I took off my hair, I was definitely proud and happy about it and I was even more excited to meet people who had taken the same big step. But then I started seeing this #Team natural all over the internet and to me it felt like it was some kind of sorority or a cult and I was already a part of it. Yes I'm growing my hair naturally but then I don’t think going natural should cause uproar on social media world-wide. I see lots of articles and comments about this team natural and to be truthful, some people are taking this thing more than ordinary (Imagine if we had a #team Brazilian or #team darling yaki.. space for no dey internet again). It is beginning to take the shape of racism, natural hair girls only want to party with their likes and girls on weave won’t hangout with those that aint…what is this turning into??? (egba mi), Black or white, skinny or fat, relaxed or natural. Everyone ought to adorn what suits them most. Please let's be careful because the things we count as little may eventually turn out harmful (Boko is enough, we shouldn’t start having hair wars na!). Going natural should be as a result of choice and personal taste and not what's in vogue or for the reason of “joining a group”. I know I usually tease my sister and cajole her into cutting her hair but I don't impose it on her. It is your business if you want to wear the Brazilian or Peruvian hair extensions. It is your business if you want to relax your hair.  Whether you put placenta, weed, cow or horse shit...na your business Shebi na you get your head. If your hair grow, if hin no grow, na you go still get the headache… Its painful that the whole Team natural thing has moved from a statement of personal taste to an indication of 'African-ness' and self-esteem. Anyone can go natural; it is not a racially bound thing oooo. I even heard if you relax your hair, you are careless about your hair. Shuuu!!.. so if I use lux instead of palm oil or local soap to bath, do I care less about my skin?? Or does wearing contact lenses mean I care less about my eyes..abegi make una park well. Going natural shouldn’t be an avenue to establish our identity or mark yet another line of division. Neither should perming, relaxing or using weave-ons and hair extensions.  Please let's be careful with the things we say and the decisions we tend to make. You never know who you're hurting with the things you say

To each his own, your hair is your hair….Oya make e no be like sey na only me sabi talk…talk your own.....

20 comments :

  1. Moby I totally get your point. Going natural should be a thing of choice. The way all these natural people behave ehn, its irritating. I'll love to see your natural hair someday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have relaxed hair and I'll forever be proud of it. Can't deal with combing my hair and having headache. Abeg

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a time being natural meant you attended deeper life *the church I grew up in *
    I hear even among the naturalistas, there is discrimination too. I wear my hair relaxed because am comfy in it. Whatever rocks your boat is fine by me!
    Www.seyonhundeyin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what it should be about. What you are comfy in. But some people won't let us rest ontop this hair issue.

      Delete
  4. Moby I just read the make up fair post and I should attend because I want to see you oh *side eye* no vex say na under another post I comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is exactly what was on my mind a few days ago...very well said Moby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post, true talk o

    www.exclusivetins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Make dem even fight hair war sef. Abi what's my bizness. Foolish people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can relate to this.
    www.tosyne101.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree but not fully,you are right about the decision making and all but about the teamnatural thingy seeming occultic, I totally disagree. I feel its just natural to want to influence people just like that between you and your sis,and if you take your time to check well,they basically discuss issues of how to grow a naturally healthy hair which is after you must have decided to go natural. I've never experienced anything different from those groups. About being kinda too proud of the hair,well I see no big deal in it,this is same way a nigerian lady would want to go rock an ankara dress abroad just to promote her culture. Being a naturalista isn't a big deal so whatever suit you most,you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anon. I'm guessing you are #Team natural. Trying to influence is different from trying to force. Have you ever seen a natural hair person look at you with disgust when you talk about relaxer? I have. They literally make you feel useless cos you don't have your natural hair on. My argument is be proud of whatever hair that's on you but don't make others feel bad cos they don't belong to your team.

      Delete
    2. Well,at this age and time,nobody forces anybody,people choose to return to their natural hair. And No I've not seen any naturalista making others feel bad about their relaxed hair. You must have met an arrogant one by nature..you just might not know. Africans are beautiful with or without hair self. We are all made in Gods image. That settles it.

      Delete
  10. Today is Thursday Moby, no new post. No make me change am for you oh *files fingers*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol! My thoughts exactly.. I think we want to find a way to cause some sort of division among us.. like the ones we have aren't enough

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like jollof rice to my stomach... the more you leave a comment, the happier I get. Thanks for stopping by...I love you like kilode *mwwaahhh*