Thursday 29 May 2014

BEAUTY: HOW TO TIE A GELE



Hello lovies mi (trying hard to sound razz). Happy democracy day o. I remember I used to love public holidays (a break from the daily activities).. but now I just don't seem to care seeing everyday is holiday for me. Anyways, I got a request from a friend asking me to teach her how to tie the female head gear (gele) after she saw Aunty Temi's makeover (you can check it here). So to honor her request,  I'm going to show us how to tie the gele, step by step with pictures. Don't mind the camera and the camera man. Ok, now go  get your gele (aso oke, singele, segoe, damask,even wrapper sef) and let's get to work. For my illustration, I used the gele called Singele also known as wire gele. Let's get to work.

STEP 1: Get hair out of the way. Pack hair to the back or clip it if you can. Do not tie gele with fringe or hair in front (else you might look like you're carrying load...LOL). I have my hair in braids so I just packed it to the back.
 
STEP 2: Fold half or the edge of the first quarter and it should be the same from top to bottom so that the front of gele is smooth and tidy.
 
STEP 3: Place on the temple (forehead) and on top of both ears. Put gele over head and make sure it is very firm and flat in front.
 
STEP 4: Ensure that one end of the gele is longer than the other. The reason you have a longer side is because it's going around the head. Then take the short side in and the long side out (place the longer end under the shorter end) and pull really tight so it doesn't fall off.
 
STEP 5: Take the longer end round in one straight line.
 
STEP 6: At this point, you can decide to tie it first before you make the layers or make the layers before tying. The choice is yours. The layer is what im pointing at. Its a fold made when tying gele. Ensure your layers are really flat and you can make as much layers as you want (but exceeding 10 layers would be aseju).
 
STEP 7: Make a knot (usually at the middle) according to how big you want your gele to be at both ends (the short end and the end that has gone round).
 *end that has gone round

*the short end waiting since morning
STEP 8: Tie both ends preferably twice.


 
STEP 9: Set layers very well. I don't have a big mirror so I use the window. Serves the purpose of a good mirror well.

Use pin where necessary. And we are done. Yipeeeeeeeeee..
 
*NOTE: You shall sweat like this by the time you are done.
 
 Try to make the back as neat as much as possible.


You may not get it well right now but don't beat yourself up. Don't worry, you don't have to be perfect on your first try. Just keep practicing... The more you practice, the easier it becomes. I've been tying gele since I was little.. like 9 years old (believe it.... if you don't, call my mum on 08034084xxx). So if my gele looks this good now,  then you know sey no be beans *smiles*( no be today mata, it haf tay'd LOL). So go and keep trying and if you need another tutorial, then send me a message on moby.amusu@gmail.com. Love you loads.

43 comments :

  1. Nice. Love d back but d pictures are dark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. Love d back but d pictures are dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to add. If I get atleast 10 pictures of your result by tonight,I'll upload it in my next post. Send your pictures to moby.amusu@gmail.com. Keep trying,keep sending

      Delete
  3. Nice. Love d back but d pictures are dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks but na so I see am. God will bless my minstry soon. Thank you

      Delete
  4. Going 2 get a gele now and try it out. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Send in a picture of the result when you are done. Moby.amusu@gmail.com

      Delete
  5. Very nice. I'm so tieing gele to church on Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOu missed a part, you dint snap d part of aw you made all dus folds

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've tried my 1st and 2nd tying. How do I upload the pic for u to c?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've sent them. Those r my first tries using your method and its quite simple. Thanks.
    Hope I tried *big grin*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your first tries and you did fabulously well. Oya chop knuckle.

      Delete
  9. I don get headache on top this thing. I'll keep trying. Thanks Moby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww sorry. Oya come and take panadol and keep trying. Oya take kiss join *mwwwwaahhhh*

      Delete
  10. Mhen tieing gele is some serz s**t......babes b sweating like Xmas goat......whew!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha. All this to make us fine. No be beans na. Pele dear.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice. Used to think gele tying was only for d strong. It luks so simple here I feel like I can do it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you can do. Just do it and keep practicing.

      Delete
  13. Babe, I just stumbled on your blog. Tnx a million for dis gele tying tips. I tie gele 4 myself bt I've always found it difficult to get dose layers. I tried it nw n got it with jst the 1st trial. Tnx a whole lot. I'm rily grateful. GeleTyin, here I cum

    OluwaBlesyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bt U̶̲̥̅̊ funny sha. Love your sense of humour. Will always visit your blog n comment. You r doin a great job here babe

    Oluwablesyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bt U̶̲̥̅̊ funny sha. Love your sense of humour. Will always visit your blog n comment. You r doin a great job here babe

    Oluwablesyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bt U̶̲̥̅̊ funny sha. Love your sense of humour. Will always visit your blog n comment. You r doin a great job here babe

    Oluwablesyn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bt U̶̲̥̅̊ funny sha. Love your sense of humour. Will always visit your blog n comment. You r doin a great job here babe

    Oluwablesyn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hw 9ce,I've always had d interest of knowing hw 2 tie d head gear..thnx 4 making it possible 4 me..more grease 2 ur elbow!*much luv*

    ReplyDelete
  19. God bless your heart for sharing this tip.....Now i can't wait to get home and try this out:)
    Ps this layout is better than the last. Well done Moby
    The Beautiful Eagle

    ReplyDelete
  20. I jst found out abt ur blog 2days ago and have been trying to tie d gele. Tanx so much Moby,you've just brought out d best in me. Am close to perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've printed this out. I hope to get home early today and give it a trial. Fingers crossed :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. impressive love the steps.. need more of it.... wink

    ReplyDelete
  23. Replies
    1. Thanks... this was really helpfu. Thumbs up

      Delete
    2. Baby God will bless u plenty times c my 1st try

      Delete
    3. Dis is nice thumbs up u r jst gud

      Delete
  24. Let's just say I got it halfway.the layers weren't really a problem as much as the ends. Abi the gele was too long ni?
    After tying the first short one first,and then the long one, I was left with a long piece still remaining and almost long enough to go round my head a third time.
    The flared after the layers is where I am having problem.u know dats what makes d gele nah. F.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very nice

    Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wooow dis is vry nice, i got it at once bt i will keep trying .all tanks to uuuuuuuu.

    ReplyDelete
  27. nice one, i love this. i will try it and send u pix.

    ReplyDelete
  28. nice one, i love this. i will try it and send u pix.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like jollof rice to my stomach... the more you leave a comment, the happier I get. Thanks for stopping by...I love you like kilode *mwwaahhh*