Wednesday 28 May 2014

MY BRIDE PRICE IS IMMEASURABLE....... DOUBLE WAHALA


 
Hello lovies…. hmmn. “Some people dey vex oooo” (**hands on chin + dramatic shaking of my head**) todays matter 'get as e be oo'.. Two days ago, I shared a link to one very funny and hilarious app which calculates bride price. Like I said, it is a very funny app that was intended to be a pun… like seriously, who wouldn't want to know or at least see what her bride price could be (**we definitely know it is not a serious tool for measurement of such**), but everybody would want in on the joke. As you know curiosity killed the cat, I decided to check mine (and for my sisters sef and even for a guy LOL). So you could imagine how I felt when I was told I'm a premium babe na (**wink**). I found the app totally comical and very funny because of the options like: if you are dark, fair or whitenicious (**I know some whitenicious aunties LMAO). The funniest ones were "Ada Ada in the morning and Caro at night", "Sexy Bow legs Beyonce". I could go on and on...it was a good laugh for me. But I have come to understand that some people with very strict opinions do not see the joke in this, hence they have laid a petition for the “destruction” of the app (straight face).
Our very own Alibaba said...
'Some People set their bride price (or that of their daughters) at millions (in some cases not naira ooo…hmmn)... When they should even be doing sales and promo... because of what we know them to be. I mean for such “types” (una know na..the full time caros…LOL)  guys should be getting like 70% discount'. (LOL…no be me talk am oo). I’m sure no one raised a petition for Alibaba to be crucified or exiled because of that….because it was everything it was. A JOKE!..

Now here's the petition for the app to be taken down and some reactions (strangely from men).
Frank Kobola at cosmopolitan calls it 'Horrifying & sexist' (hmmn that means the words ‘Menstruation, ‘Menstrual pain, etc are sexist (as na men full am), the characters ‘spider man, He-man and Sango are sexist. The fact that a woman would get a ‘bachelors or master’s degree  is sexist)…..so I ask …Sir Frank, where art thou sense of humor? Or did you calculate for a loved one and the result wasn’t profitable ni?? 
According to Ikechukwu Oyemelukwe (the person behind the petition to take down the app):
"Bridepricecheck is a web app that assigns virtual monetary value (in Naira) to women in an attempt to calculate their bride price based on factors such as their level of education, skin colour, nationality, weight, beauty, physical features, spoken accents, country of residence, employment status etc" (bee ni)
There's more...
"The Bridepricecheck app promotes racism, sexism and discrimination against women. By assigning a price tag, it devalues the true worth of a woman; it promotes the ideology that women are the lesser gender and are expected to please men (err the Bible says that too Ephesians 5 22-23). The app assigns less monetary value for having darker skin and a greater value for being mixed-race/ lighter (same with the currency power**let’s kill the world leaders). The app assigns a greater value for being tall; having no tribal marks, and deducts a value for having a particular accent (errr all ye rappers ati singers, how do ya’ll describe the ideal babe again??). It even goes as far as limiting the level of ambition and education women are expected to have by deducting monetary value for women who obtain a PhD degree ( but seriously, how many women with Phd are/stay married**just saying oo) . This is not in any way different from the mentality that the terrorist group Boko Haram have towards women (CHAI!! *surprised look**Boko loun loun!!), and how they have demonstrated this with the kidnapping of over 200 Chibok school girls. The world is still dealing with the actions that ensue from such repressive mentality and on a daily basis we get reports of rape, violence, oppression and harassment of women."
(Loud yawn*) I'm bored already. Why is this man taking panadol of our headache o. Very soon we won't be able to laugh at anything without being racist or sexist or “heightist”... I am a woman, and I didn’t even get up to 1 million naira on the app, but I haven’t killed myself and I haven’t been loved any less… I am dark, “not tall”, Nigerian, no accent….and I definitely know it’s not the app that would prostrate to my parents…the man that would, knows what I worth that’s why he wants to spend the rest of his life with me…. . Life is too easy to take too serious oo…ordinary app don dey warrant petition. Hian

Who else shares the same opinion with Mr. Ikechukwu and Sir Frank….please bare your thoughts and if you haven’t seen the App, follow this link

12 comments :

  1. Its a lie o. People are funny. I calculated mine yesterday and I laughed at the part where they said my material na cord lace. So why will anyone make a petition. Not cool at all

    ReplyDelete
  2. The guy get point o! Although very hilarious his argument make sense. I think thats the problem we have in naija, we bring a joke out of every situation forgetting key danger dat are attached E.g patience jonathan's Dere is God nd Oga at d top. Based on this our leaders dont even take us seriously. If this app was targeted for uk or us community dem for sue am. I wont lie i really laffed wen i saw my result o! I dey double think doing my phd b4 marriage now.lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True but it was all meant to be a joke we forget the next day. But now we would remember forever. The app that calculated bride price.

      Delete
  3. ROTFL....some pple are very sad indeed choi!....Petition?....maybe their daughters bride price wasn't up 2 50k after they caluclated ...or they find ou their wives are owing dem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha. If his wife is owing him then I think he should go and collect change. Abi. If someone is owing you,you go and ask for change and not disturb the lives of others.

      Delete
  4. Why would they involve Boko?...this thing is a joke nau....instead of them to go to sambisa and fight they are pennong petition odes

    ReplyDelete
  5. LMAOOOooooo this Moby no well ooo....lols...@Sango is sexist...its true na...lol....the man is just seeking attention

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I see it. Attention seeking marafacka. Just saying.

      Delete
  6. Well said jare. Some people seff. No sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like jollof rice to my stomach... the more you leave a comment, the happier I get. Thanks for stopping by...I love you like kilode *mwwaahhh*