Tuesday 20 May 2014

CELEBRATING BLACK HAIR HISTORY




Hello lovelies. How are you and how was your day? Mine was kinda subtle, was indoors practically throughout, had my beauty nap, my energy nap, 2 power naps (I sleep the sleep wella! LOL).. I saw most of you in my dream, especially the anonymous posters…*smiles*.
So I was blog stalking (which I usually do…not a crime *rolls eyes) and I came across some very beautiful pictures (I love art drawings though…that’s probably another thing you did not know about Moby * double wink*). Apparently, the man that took the pictures just died (that's why we are hearing about him now). Let me digress a bit. Is it just me or do People actually get very popular when they die??? We should cultivate the habit of recognizing and celebrating people when they can appreciate the acknowledgements and even enjoy their superstar moments…(so better start celebrating me now ooo….you can start with a car…*wide grin) .
Anyways, this man known as Okhai Ojeikere (born Johnson Donatus Aihumekeokhai Ojeikere….phew! long names) died about 3 months ago, precisely on February 2nd, 2014, at the age of 83 (daddy lived long).  Born in 1930 in the Nigerian village of Ovbiomu-Emai, he later mainly lived and worked in Ketu, Lagos, Nigeria. Why I am interested in this man? ,  You'll get to see for yourself and I bet you would also be very interested. He is a legend in my books, a photography legend but I didn't know him until this morning. I wish I had known him or even heard about him before now; I might have tried meeting him in person but God knows best…He always does. I will be guiding us through a series of century old black hairstyles captured with panache by a standout photographer, Late Pa Okhai Ojeikere. Some of us would be able to recognize and identify some of the styles while some (those of us from the Indomie age LOL) might not know any. Some won’t even have a clue of what’s going on so we are gonna play a game. The first person to mention at least 5 hairstyles in the pictures below will get 500 naira airtime (any line…450 naira for mtn). Post your e-mail address with your answers so I can reach you should you be the winner.. Let the games begin…good luck…*smiles*
 










All photos were gotten from Daily Mail UK but originally sourced from FIFTY ONE Fine Art Photography Gallery. Feel free to google 'Ojeikere Hairstyles' and see so many more pictures of historical black hair styles.


18 comments :

  1. shuku,koroba,kiko,didi and poli
    ce
    cap,Moby I really must win oooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, you didn't include your email address. Sorry but better luck next time. *mwahhhh*

      Delete
  2. shuku,police cap,didi,koroba, kiko, Aloba Kehinde send it to my mail I mean the recharge card kenny_aloba@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations dear. I shall send the recharge card to your email address. Thanks

      Delete
  3. Wao!...lovely memories. No 2 is MOREMI, 3 is Ojopeti, 5 is Festac, 6 is Elelo, 7 is Koroba, 11 is round about.
    rukkiss2002@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, I fear you o. Where did you get all these names? I like you already *hahahahaha*

      Delete
  4. Suku, koroba, kojusoko, kiko, didi #winks#

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kojusoko, koroba, adimole, didi, kiko, shuku, ipakoelede.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shuku, koroba, ipakoelede, kojusoko kiko
    bb4luv2009@yahoo.com
    moby i must win ooo lol
    bukola say so
    bythe way Lovly blog....so intresting nd entertainin....u are truly a drama queen lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahahaha. Thanks Bukola. I'm sure you'll win some other time.

      Delete
  7. Sincerely...lol, u whrent even born wen dis whre in vougue, so dont dis d "indomie pikins"... Lmao, pls send me d recharge as u ursef gat 2 google d answer..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm an indomie pikin but I sure did most of these hairstyles. I rocked it well sef. You trust me na.

      Delete
  8. Lmao@ sewyblingz....Moby wore some of these styles 2 school too...thanks to her Mum...so was ws a semi-partaker

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shuku, patewo,kolese,omo iya meta,ojonpeti, kiko and koroba

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shuku, patewo,kolese,omo iya meta,kiko,ojonpeti and koroba

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful... I remember those days lolzz

    Nice meeting u Moby + I am loving this blog

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like jollof rice to my stomach... the more you leave a comment, the happier I get. Thanks for stopping by...I love you like kilode *mwwaahhh*